Federal contract opportunity SN-1052012 for computer and computer peripheral equipment and software merchant wholesalers at Federal Bureau of Investigation Procurement Section, response was due Sep 21, 2011.
FEDERAL BUREAU OF INVESTIGATION JUSTIFICATION FOR OTHER THAN FULL AND OPEN COMPETITION IN ACCORDANCE WITH FAR 6.302-1
1. IDENTIFICATION OF THE AGENCY AND THE CONTRACTING ACTIVITY The Federal Bureau of Investigation's (FBI) Training Division (TD), has prepared this Justification for Other Than Full and Open Competition in response to a requirement for obtaining software/hardware packages created by Motion Reality, Inc.
2. NATURE AND/OR DESCRIPTION OF THE ACTION APPROVED This Justification for Other Than Full and Open Competition is being prepared in accordance with the authority of FAR 6.302-1, only one responsible source.
The contract is being awarded to Motion Reality, Inc. The proposed contract will be a Firm Fixed Price (FFP) type of contract.
3. DESCRIPTION OF THE SUPPLIES OR SERVICES REQUIRED TO MEET THE AGENCY'S NEEDS.
TD requires an additional VIRTSIM System for new agent training. VIRTSIM is a world-leading, fully-immersive, 3-D small unit tactical training simulation system. VIRTUSIM is comprised of some commercial, and some proprietary technology, that as a package is only available through Motion Reality, Inc. TD requires this particular system to enhance its existing VIRTUSIM system and expand its capabilities. Not only is VIRTUSIM the only apparent system to meet the needs of TD, but to enhance, and increase the capabilities of TD the VIRTUSIM system must be compatible. Therefore, it is necessary to procure from Raytheon / Motion Reality, Inc. the VIRTUSIM system to meet the mission of the training division.
4. IDENTIFICATION OF THE STATUTORY AUTHORITY PERMITTING OTHER THAN FULL AND OPEN COMPEITION The statutory authority for conducting this acquisition is 41 U.S.C 253 (c)(1). The regulatory authority is FAR 6.302-1(c).
5. DEMONSTRATION THAT THE CONTRACTOR'S UNIQUE QUALIFICATIONS OR THE NATURE OF THE ACQUISITION REQUIRES USE OF THE AUTHORITY CITED. Supra: Section 2 and Section 3.
6. DESCRIPTION OF EFFORTS MADE TO ENSURE THAT OFFERS WERE SOLICITED FROM AS MANY POTENTIAL SOURCES AS WAS PRACTICABLE.
The specific system needed is only available through one source and is not resold by multiple vendors.
In the future, equivalent software packages may be considered. However, due to the nature of the specific code functions in the software, alternative items are not yet possible.
7. DETERMINATION OF THE CONTRACTING OFFICER THAT THE ANTICIPATED COST TO THE GOVERNMENT WILL BE FAIR AND REASONABLE. The contracting officer has determined the prices to be fair and reasonable due to comparison with the most recent quote. Additionally, prior to contract award, a price analysis will be conducted by the contracting officer to determine that all costs/prices are fair and reasonable.
8. A DESCRIPTION OF THE MARKET SURVEY CONDUCTED AND THE RESULTS OR STATEMENT OF THE REASONS A MARKET SURVEY WAS NO CONDUCTED. A simple search of the commercial marketplace reveals no acceptable alternatives for purchase are available, other than the vendor specifically.
9. ANY OTHER FACTS SUPPORTING THE USE OF OTHER THAN FULL AND OPEN COMPETITION Supra Paragraphs 2, 3, and 5 for facts supporting the use of other than full and open competition.
10. A LISTING OF SOURCES, IF ANY, THAT EXPRESSED IN WRITING AN INTEREST IN THE ACQUISITION. Currently, the FBI has not received any interest in this requirement.
11. A STATEMENT OF THE ACTIONS, IF ANY, THE AGENCY MAY TAKE TO REMOVE OR OVERCOME ANY BARRIERS TO COMPETITION BEFORE ANY SUBSEQUENT ACQUISITION FOR THE SUPPLIES OR SERVICES REQUIRED. In the future, the FBI will resolve to search for equivalent software packages produced that may contain like functionality, but currently none exist with the specific functionality needed.
Place of Performance
FBI Academy - Quantico, Va Quantico, Virginia 22134 United States